Indie Gems: Odd Thomas

I see dead people...and do something about it.

Odd Thomas (Anton Yelchin) is a short order cook in a small California town with a - well, odd gift. He can see dead people. Sometimes, when they are murdered they help Odd find their killers as a low key detective. Only his girlfriend Stormy (Addison Timlin) and the police officer he works closely with, Chief Wyatt Porter (Willem DaFeo) know his secret. One day a man named Fungus Bob Robertson (Shuler Hensley) shows up and dark forces follow him. Odd tasks himself with solving this very intricate mystery.

Despite being a huge fan of Anton Yelchin, I hadn't seen this film until recently. For some reason it eluded me. It was a small film that ran into financial problems. It was filmed in 2011, but didn't see a small release until 2013. Though watching the film, you'd never guess it had problems. The story is put together well, the CGI looks great for an indie film and the acting of course is top notch.

Yelchin of course is the standout and he gives a great performance. Odd is a very smooth guy, but parts of this film are downright heartbreaking and Yelchin excels there. He and Timlin also have amazing chemistry so it's easy to love his scenes with Stormy. I'm glad I finally got to see this. It's now moved up higher on my Yelchin list, right up there with Like Crazy, Alpha Dog, and Five to Seven.

Grade: A

Watched on: Netflix Instant

Memorable Quote: "He didn't just have one killer, he had two. One more and they could buy group health insurance or form a rock band." - Odd Thomas (Anton Yelchin)

Comments

  1. How could I have missed this? I love all your reviews but indie gems best of all - love gathering movies for my list, especially your recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been on my list for ages too, and I don't think I've ever really known what it was all about! I need to hunt down a copy of this ASAP now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know what it was really about either. I had just had it in my queue because Anton is in it.

      Delete
  3. This mofo has been on My List since forever and I have almost pressed play 900 times. After reading this review, I'm f--king doing it, man. I'M GONNA DO IT!!

    Sorry. Great post. I gotta check this one out now!! Like, for real.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always feel so sad when I hear this young man's name. He died way to young and senselessly. i hope his family sued the car manufacturer. This film sounds excellent as I love this theme-on my list to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did, and I hope that action prevents other people from dying. They need to fix that defect.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum